Every year in June, PPO joins people, companies and cities across Canada in celebrating Pride Month. Celebrating Pride is one way that our team shows our commitment to a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming workplace.
PPO: People. Purpose. Outcomes.
One of our most important priorities at PPO is to create a welcoming culture where everyone feels comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work. The foundation of our culture is reflected in our three guiding principles:
People: We are creative learners who demonstrate trust, humility, empathy and respect. We believe that work is only one part of our lives, and we perform better with a healthy balance.
Purpose: We are an inclusive and resilient team that takes initiative and focuses on our customer. We hold ourselves and each other accountable for exceptional quality work, every day.
Outcomes: We are proud to be creating a more sustainable future together with our customers: higher quality food, reduced waste, and a healthier planet.
We are committed to a journey of ongoing learning, reflection, and awareness. Since the last time we wrote about Pride, all of our employees and our leadership team have participated in training on unconscious bias in the workplace. We celebrated both inclusivity AND our awesome focus on using light by giving each PPO team member rainbow socks as a gift. We work hard to use inclusive language (for example, in our job descriptions) and to go out of our way to foster a sense of belonging. Most importantly, we’re conscious of and work to be reflective, supportive, and respectful in our interactions between team members, our customers, and everyone we work with.
Pride is one month of the year, but building a great culture that can include everyone is something we will continue to work on every single day at PPO. Being an ally means showing up to do the work, asking tough questions of one another, and pushing to keep improving, even when it’s hard.
We hope everyone will invest some time to learn about the 2SLGBTQ+ community and how you can be an ally. Here are a few resources we found to be helpful on our journey towards being inclusive for the 2SLGBTQ+ community:
- 10 Ways To Support LGBTQ Rights During Pride Month (Forbes)
- How the LGBTQ+ community fares in the workplace (McKinsey)
- Pride at Work Canada Resources
- The Rainbow Pages Resource Directory (Waterloo Region’s Rainbow Community Space)
- How to Make Your Pride Celebrations Anti-Racist and Remote-Friendly (Bloom Workplace Consultancy)
Looking to participate in Pride events in Waterloo Region? Here’s a list!
- Spectrum Pride 2022 events – all month, various locations
- Spectrum the Five Senses – all month, THEMUSEUM
- Family Pride 2022 – Sunday June 12 @ 10am, THEMUSEUM
- Tri-Pride Festival – June 4th 4-8pm, Victoria Park
- Pride Dance 2022 – June 4 9pm-1am EDT, Crowne Plaza Kitchener-Waterloo
- Pride Roller Disco, June 23rd, 6-10pm, Kitchener Market – lower level parking garage