Production and Field Services Technician
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Experience: 3+ years relevant work experience
Education: College diploma in electrical engineering, automation, or
About the Position
The chosen candidate will become a key member of the Production Team at P&P Optica. The Production team is responsible for a wide range of activities including the production and fulfillment of our world-class Spectrometers and Smart Imaging Systems. This position will initially focus on the end-to-end production and on-site commissioning of our newest Smart Imaging Systems for food production, followed in the future by the opportunity to develop new features and innovations that will keep our systems at the forefront of the industry.
Provide system integration, commissioning and start-up services:
- The production of products, systems, and accessories that are safe and reliable in our manufacturing environment. Use of hand tools and measurement tools.
- Facilitate transport to
Customer facility(equipment tear-down and packaging).
- On-site installation and commissioning at Customer sites.
- End-user training for the safe and effective use of our Smart Imaging Systems and related products.
Manufacturing activities, including but not limited to:
- Integration of automation using
- Manufacturing of high voltage equipment (panels, harnessing, power drops), and Safe Operation (PPE, LOTO) of said equipment in a live
state(arc flash and shock hazards).
- Contributing to DFX requirements that meet our technical requirements, while improving schedule, and minimizing cost. This can be accomplished through
in-time production issues, or lessons-learned observations from previous installations. Review/suggest additional tools or equipment necessary to better maintain Customer equipment.
- Preparation and Maintenance of professional grade documentation (Build Instructions and Service Manuals) and Drawings to support the manufacturing, assembly, testing and service of our products and systems.
Additional tasks may include:
- Management of the as-built documentation to ensure compliance to our as-design configuration.
- Post-installation surveillance and troubleshooting services as it pertains to automation, controls and electrical equipment.
- Provide technical Customer support via telephone,
- Working with external suppliers and fabrication shops to ensure our design and quality standards are met. Coordinating 3rd party vendors to resolve technical issues as required.
- Some tasks may require lifting up to 30kg
- Travel in Canada and the United States will be required to support
installationand field services. This may be as much as 40% of the time on average.
You want to work for a fast-paced, growing company that focuses on providing innovative solutions to help its customers. You want to be part of a team of motivated people like yourself who are eager to solve challenging problems and learn new skills. You have a positive attitude, care about doing things right, and are motivated by making a positive impact.
- Minimum 3+ years relevant experience integrating, testing, and servicing complex and precise automation systems (or equivalent combination of education and experience).
- Proven experience integrating, programming, and testing PLC-based automation systems and high voltage electrical assemblies.
Ableto competently understand mechanical drawings, BOM’s, electrical schematics, and other production documentation.
- Solid, hands-on experience assembling and testing electrical, mechanical, pneumatics, and automation hardware subsystems and components.
- Good knowledge electrical assembly requirements, and electrical safety standards.
- Exceptional professionalism and client-facing skills (frequent interaction with customers required).
- Strong written and verbal communications skills with technical documentation experience.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team.
- Food industry experience is a significant asset.
- Able to use Solidworks CAD and PDM software.
- Able to use AutoCAD or equivalent design software.
- Experience with Lean Manufacturing Methodologies (
ie. Kaizen, Kanban, Value Stream Mapping).
P&P Optica is committed to supporting a culture of diversity across our organization. Our hiring practices are aligned with human rights laws, which guarantee every person equal treatment in regard to employment and opportunity for employment, regardless of race, color, creed/religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.