Hardware Designer – Mechanical
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Experience: 3+ years relevant work experience
Education: University degree in engineering, science, or another applicable field.
About the Position
The chosen candidate will become a key member of the Hardware Team at P&P Optica. The hardware team is responsible for a wide range of activities including the design and production of our world-class holographic gel gratings, spectrometers, and Smart Imaging Systems. This position will initially focus on the end-to-end design and activities of our newest Smart Imaging Systems for food production, followed in the future by the opportunity to develop new features and innovations that will keep our systems at the forefront of the industry. As part of this mandate, you will be actively involved in developing and proving your own innovative designs and will follow those through production, testing, and final installation.
- Developing next generation, smart imaging products, systems, and accessories that are safe and reliable.
- Innovating, prototyping, and finalizing detailed designs that meet technical, schedule, cost, and DFX requirements.
- Analyzing designs for compliance to applicable design and safety standards.
- Evaluating designs for failure modes and providing risk assessments.
- Producing professional-grade documentation and drawings to support the manufacturing, assembly, and testing of our products and systems.
- Sourcing reliable components that sensibly balance cost, performance, and schedule demands.
- Writing of technical specifications to support procurement. Work with suppliers to establish reasonable performance requirements.
- Design of special tools and fixtures to facilitate reliable and consistent production quality.
Additional Tasks May Include
- Supporting production with the assembly and testing of systems.
- Supporting the on-site installation and commissioning of our equipment at our Customer’s facilities.
- Working with external suppliers and fabrication shops to ensure our design and quality standards are met.
- Mentoring and supervision of interns, co-op students, and temporary labour.
- Occasional travel may be required.
- Some tasks may require lifting up to 30kg.
You want to work for a fast-paced, growing company that focuses on providing innovative solutions to help its customers. You want to be part of a team of motivated people like yourself who are eager to solve challenging problems and learn new skills. You have a positive attitude, care about doing things right, and are motivated by making a positive impact.
- Minimum 3+ years of experience designing precision mechanical components and reliable mechanical systems for automation applications.
- Proficient with Solidworks CAD and PDM software for modelling, design analysis, and creation of production drawings.
- Ability to thoroughly prove your designs through a sensible combination of analysis and testing.
- Excellent thermal and structural analysis skills.
- Good knowledge of materials, manufacturing processes and realistically achievable tolerances.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills with technical documentation experience.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team.
- Recent experience designing automated production equipment.
- Food industry experience is a significant asset.
- Additional electrical or mechatronics design knowledge and experience.
- Experience with automation using microcontrollers and/or PLCs.
P&P Optica is committed to supporting a culture of diversity across our organization. Our hiring practices are aligned with human rights laws, which guarantee every person equal treatment in regard to employment and opportunity for employment, regardless of race, colour, creed/religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.