Hardware Designer – Automation Systems and Electrical
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Experience: 3+ years relevant work experience
Education: University degree in engineering, science, or another applicable field.
About the Position
The chosen candidate will become a key member of the Hardware Team at P&P Optica. The Hardware Team is responsible for a wide range of activities including the design and fulfillment of our world-class Spectrometers and Smart Imaging Systems. This position will initially focus on the end-to-end design and activities of our newest Smart Imaging Systems for food production, followed in the future by the opportunity to develop new features and innovations that will keep our systems at the forefront of the industry. As part of this mandate, you will be actively involved in developing and proving your own innovative designs and will follow those through production, testing, and final installation.
- Development of next generation, smart imaging products, systems, and accessories that are safe and reliable for high volume, food production applications.
- Innovating, prototyping, and finalizing detailed electrical and automation designs that meet technical, schedule, cost, DFMA, and safety requirements.
- Designing control systems, electrical and automation system architecture, safety circuits, cables and harnesses, and electrical panel layouts.
- Creating professional grade documentation, schematics, and drawings to support the manufacturing, assembly, and testing of our products and systems.
- Working with other members of the engineering and operations teams on overall product and process improvements (technical performance, cost, quality).
- Sourcing of reliable components that sensibly balance cost, performance, and schedule demands.
- Lead DFMEA, electrical field evaluations, and safety risk assessment activities.
Additional Tasks May Include
- Supporting on-site installation and commissioning of new systems at our Customer’s facilities.
- Supporting production with the assembly and testing of systems.
- Working with external suppliers and fabrication shops to ensure our design and quality standards are met.
- Occasional travel may be required.
- Some tasks may require lifting up to 30kg.
You want to work for a fast-paced, growing company that focuses on providing innovative solutions to help its customers. You want to be part of a team of motivated people like yourself who are eager to solve challenging problems and learn new skills. You have a positive attitude, care about doing things right, and are motivated by making a positive impact.
- Minimum 3+ years of experience designing reliable, automated production equipment and systems for use in high volume production applications.
- Excellent knowledge and experience designing PLC-based automation systems including programming.
- Proficient with electrical CAD design software for the design of system block diagrams, wiring schematics, wire harnesses, and electrical enclosures.
- Good knowledge of North American electrical safety and compliance standards and requirements.
- Experience designing complex safety circuits that comply with functional safety requirements.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills with technical documentation experience.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team.
- Food industry experience is a significant asset.
- Knowledge of SCADA and MES communications interfaces.
- Able to use Solidworks CAD and PDM software.
- Comfortable with the Python programming language.
P&P Optica is committed to supporting a culture of diversity across our organization. Our hiring practices are aligned with human rights laws, which guarantee every person equal treatment in regard to employment and opportunity for employment, regardless of race, colour, creed/religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.